BY: Adam Gavriel
Human resource departments of organizations do not take the interview questionnaire process lightly. With questions ranging from analyzing how they feel you’ll perform on the job, to personality questions, to mind-teasers that would make anyone scratch their heads. These are the kinds of things an applicant needs to be prepared for when taking the dive into an interview.
I can specifically recall my 16 year –old self going from pharmacy to pharmacy back home applying for a job as a customer-service associate. A friend and I travelled to a mom and pop pharmacy, Eckerd (now Rite-Aid) and CVS. It was the CVS pharmacy that gave us fits in the application process. When asking the employees for an application, they pointed us to a corner of the store where a machine was set up. This machine would be our application. This machine would ask us 50 personality trait questions, though it seemed like hundreds.
So do not be fooled, companies take these interview processes seriously. A few weeks after the applications were uploaded to CVS I received a call-back while my friend was ignored.
Here are a few examples of some questions you may see:
1. Tell us a time where you solved a problem at work and how did you do it.
2. Have you ever had a stressful situation at work with a fellow employee? How did you fix it?
3. Can you tell us about a time where you felt overloaded with work and how you got everything done in a timely fashion?
1. Do you view yourself as a leader or a follower?
2. If you saw a fellow employee stealing, even a friend, would you report them to management?
3. How confident would you be settling a dispute with a customer?
2. “If Germans were the tallest people in the world, how would you prove it?”
3. “You have a bouquet of flowers. All but two are roses, all but two are daisies, and all but two are tulips. How many flowers do you have?”
Let us know how you would answer some of these questions!
For the “Brain-Teasers” I’d say…
1. More than there should be, no one should slack during the work day.
2. Basketball competition.
3. 3 of course!